Sunday, June 28, 2009

My Little Lorax

So this is to be my first official blog. I was speaking to Mom and telling her the latest "Julieism" and was informed BY her the I WAS going to start a blog. So here ya go mom. :)
While doing a walk-through of my friends new house my wonderful Julie found a tree stump in the front yard. I didn't give too much thought to it until it came time to leave and I told her to get her butt in the truck. She got this horribly sad look on her face, dropped her head, and as she stepped from the stump she muttered "but I speak for the trees"... So, The Lorax has ALWAYS been one of my very favorite books, and I have read it to her many times over the span of her four years, and recently bought her the animated movie, but I NEVER expected anything like THAT from her. It took me a few seconds to register what she had said, but when I did boy did she get the biggest hug she's ever had. It's one thing to have a child spout something back at you directly after hearing it, it's quite another when they start to put two and two together and connect the dots between fantasy and reality and really start to enjoy where they overlap. What a moment.

3 comments:

  1. I love that! Kirby had a similar though not so poignant moment like that the other day. One of his favorite movies is a Richard Scarry show where one character says, "Able-Baker Charlie, I think you put too much yeast in your bread dough!" The other day out of nowhere his looks up at Greg and says, "Able-Baker Daddy, I think you put too much stuff in your garage." It's so fun to have kids that talk to you!

    ReplyDelete