Monday, April 1, 2013

Climb On!!


For years now I’ve tried everything I could think of to get Julie into some kind of activity.  I searched for anything that would keep her moving, active, healthy.  I heard once that young girls who have low activity levels can start menstruating earlier, and thus my frantic search began.  We’ve tried soccer, t-ball, swimming, skating, cycling, literally everything I could possibly think of.  I had exhausted every avenue I knew of, until one day I went indoor rock climbing with a friend.  Now, I had done this before, and quite enjoyed it, but never before like I did this time.  I’ve been on a bit of a climbing kick now, and last week I decided to try Julie out at it, just see if she could even hold herself to the wall without getting all worked up about the height etc.  Good grief was I amazed at what that kid is capable of!  The first day we went I had her on the kid’s bouldering wall.  She kept climbing over and over again, looking for different routes and trying to beat her previous time.  The next day we went back and I put a harness and rope on her to see what she could do with a 30 foot wall…. And I’ll be damned if she didn’t shimmy herself up the entire thing.  She paused only once, to ask if she could keep going.  SO, after years of trying, and millions of tears shed over soccer and t-ball fields, and blood knees and elbows from the skating, I do believe we have found Julie’s sport/activity.  My girl is every bit the crazy monkey that her mother is…. And it makes me pretty damned proud J



1 comment: